Reduce energy use. Quick steps:
- Focus mainly on reducing water heating and space heating/cooling (low flow shower and faucet heads, energy star heater, regular equipment maintenance, sealing air leaks)
- Minimize use of fireplaces or wood stoves
- Switch to LED lightbulbs
- Unplug unused electronics to minimize standby power consumption
- Wash clothes in cold water and hang them to dry
- Add insulation and weatherstripping – especially for doors, windows, attic and attic door
- Check lights, appliances, curtains and your thermostat every morning and night and anytime you leave home
- Install and program a programmable thermostat
- Buy certified energy efficient appliances and equipment
- Get an energy audit
Reduce water use.
Minimise purchases of new products, especially resource-intensive, heavy or heavily-packaged products.
Embrace a minimalist lifestyle. Declutter your home and donate unneeded items to charity. Buy, borrow or rent used clothing, electronics, house decorations and furniture, cars and other products whenever possible.
Recycle as much as possible, even when travelling, and buy products with recycle-able/minimal packaging. Search online for ways to recycle hard-to-recycle items in your local community.
Compost your food waste.
Fly less and, when you do fly, purchase carbon offsets (select “Individual” then click on the airplane icon to view the airplane carbon calculator).
Reduce standby power consumption by taking the zero-volt challenge.